Tuesday, July 26, 2005

neither here nor there

I don't really have a geographic center to my network of friends. I suppose the biggest collection of close friends is in Chicago - where I have 5 friends and 2 siblings and a whole bunch of other people that I might see every now and then at a party. Other than that, I've got folks scattered somewhat randomly across the globe. One of the difficult things about Wisconsin, be it Milwaukee or Madison, is that I have not managed to make any really close friends here or even establish a significant number of mutual friendships. I used to think that this had something to do with the fact that I haven't been around that much. Now I am beginning to think it's because I suck.
At any rate, today my friend of 16 years, Dawn, emailed to let me know that she was quitting Oxfam to return to Holland. Not too long ago a friend from the U of C, Katarina, wrote to tell me that she was coming back to Chicago from Stockholm for the fall semester. The result: no net gain in proximity to friends.

No comments: