Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Married to Mary: July version

Remember how I was all angsty about my dad's fairly sudden wedding and his plans to move to Connecticut? Further, do you remember how I returned from my last trip out to Maine with relatively little to say about my dad's new wife but with comments on my dad's sneakiness? If so, perhaps you will appreciate this:
I was speaking with my father. I mentioned that the weather in Portland has been wonderful (mostly the high 70s compared to the muggy 80s and 90s inland and in southern New England) and said that his grumbling about the long, cold, wet spring must finally be a thing of the past. He abruptly commenced a long monologue in which he spoke endlessly about how unbearable Maine winters are and how Connecticut runs about 10 degrees warmer than Portland on average. He emphatically stated that he really wasn't keen on spending another winter on the island.
"Dad, what are you talking about?" I replied.
"Well, Mary has decided that instead of me selling the house and moving to Connecticut, she is going to sell her condo and move up here. We'll put the money into the house and the cottage. Due to the property tax reassessment, the island real estate market is flooded. Mary thinks it would be crazy for us to sell right now. Besides, she really likes it out here."
"Ohhhh," I stifle my laughter, "Sounds like a great idea to me!"
My dad grumbles under his breath - something about how he didn't move down to Connecticut fast enough.

So, my dad's wife kicks ass, folks! Not only is she going to see to it that my island home is preserved, she might just be financially savvy enough to keep my dad out of the poorhouse and (NO JOKE) that takes a load off my mind!

No comments: