Monday, July 18, 2005

Harry Potter - my spoiler questions

1. Don't you think that J.K. Rowling could have used the additional 200 pages (making the book as long as Order of the Phoenix) to fill in the plot a little more and explain about Dumbledore's hand?
2. Doesn't it seem odd that the half-blood Prince was really not that important to the overall plot and, thus, is an odd person to have in the title? This isn't to say that more couldn't have been done with the Prince.
3. Did Dumbledore know what was going to happen on the rooftop? Is it really possible that he was wrong about Snape (while everyone else was correct) all that time? Seems kind of lame doesn't it? I mean, unless Dumbledore needs to be fallible and his hubris gets him.
4. Wasn't there just a little too much snogging and attention to teen love in particular?
5. What was the point of the whole Ginny thing if Harry needs to head out on his own after only a few weeks? How come Ron and Hermione get to come along and Ginny can't?
6. Is he really not going back to school next year? If not, it won't really be year 7 will it?

4 comments:

jeremy said...

BTW, I loved the book. I agree with your point #4. I thought the #2 was a good title for it, especially since JKR did a good job of leading the reader to think the HBP was probably going to be HWMNBN, so it was an interesting surprise when it wasn't.

jeremy said...

I thought #3 did a great job of setting Snape up as being a good second supervillain, and a genuinely complicated one at that.

Andrea said...

Jeremy,
Let me get this straight. You already LISTENED to the entire book? How many hours of jogging did you get in the last 2 days? Training for a marathon are we? No wonder you were strangely silent yesterday.
Did you really think the HBP would be HWMNBN? Apart from the reference to the book being 50 yrs old, what else was there? I thought it was a bit too obvious. Ultimately, I guess I wish the book could have been a little more about Snape if he was going to be so central.
I think Snape is a flawed supervillain. Ultimately Harry is the target, right? Why, if Voldemort is truly unaware of the latter half of the prophecy (...one must die at the hands of the other), wouldn't he have made Harry Snape's target? But ultimately my issue with the whole Snape thing is that absolutely everyone but Dumbledore has suspected him of being of nefarious character from the very beginning. So, it's not that I mind Snape as a villian it's that I mind Dumbledore being so mistaken about him.

jeremy said...

Maybe this will all turn out to be Dumbledore's plan, to be willing to sacrifice his life to make sure Voldemort would have complete confidence in Snape, who will then turn out at the last moment to not be evil after all. I don't think I like that possibility, actually, but it wouldn't surprise me.