Friday, August 04, 2006

Alleluia and Amen

I was minding my own business reading the newspaper from my field site when I happened across this story discussing my island home.

The island is home to all manner of people so I don't begrudge folks a Baptist Church and even a visit from Falwell himself. However, it is all particularly horrifying to me because this is the church that my dad has taken to attending with his new wife even if he does roll his eyes and claim that he is still a Catholic and even if he does side with the "liberal faction" in the family when we are discussing everything but homosexuality. There are some things about Mary and their relationship resulting in disquiet for me. Up to this point I have chosen to turn a blind eye because, quite frankly, I am overjoyed to see my dad happy and cared for and am willing to tolerate a whole lot of woohaa as long as that is the case. And, of course, there is the fact that my dad and Mary are all I've got and, although I used to be able to give my dad a dressing down when I deemed it necessary, I'm not sure that I've got the pull these days to get any more an invitation to show myself out.

No comments: