Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Pasta v. Noodle

I make one particular fettucine dish a great deal over the summer. It contains fettucine (cracked pepper and spinach mixed is best), marinated artichoke hearts, feta, avocado, carrot, red onion, asparagus, and sun-dried tomatoes. I dress it with a balsamic vinaigrette. It refrigerates well and is a real crowd pleaser at picnics and potlucks. My partner refers to this lovely dish as "noodle salad." To which I invariably respond huffily, "It's not noodle salad, it's a fettucine toss or, if you must, PASTA salad." My partner snickers and says with a pompous accent, "Ah, yes, pasta."
Last night we made zucchini and eggplant parmagiana with whole wheat spaghetti on the side. As he was setting up our plates, my partner queried, "How many noodles would you like?"
OK, here is the thing, it is hot and I am walking along with 7-9 pounds of baby under my skin. I am short-tempered and likely to fly off the handle at any moment.
"For god's sake, I don't want any noodles! I would like a small serving of spaghetti! It's PASTA!"
Fortunately my partner, who has grown accustomed to my outbursts, took my obvious emotional upheaval in stride. "When is it pasta and when is it noodles?" he rejoined.

Thus, our dinner conversation turned to decision rules on pasta and noodles. We concluded the following:
1. Both noodles and pasta consist in the main of flour (not only wheat), water and salt cooked in water. Noodles refer to this combination of ingredients in Asian or Asian fusion cooking and in the case of egg noodles. Pasta refers to this combination in Italian-derived and most American cooking.
2. When possible refer to the particular pasta/noodle by name (e.g. fusili, lo mein, rice stick noodle, macaroni).
3. When in doubt as to classification as pasta or noodle, be guided by the name. Macaroni=pasta chow fun=noodle egg noodle=noodle penne=pasta.

No comments: