Monday, March 14, 2005

sleep work

My dream-life has been CRAZY lately. Sometimes I wake up in the morning wondering if I would feel more rested if I hadn't gone to sleep at all. I had at least 3 distinct dreams last night and I remember 2 of them quite vividly.

Last night, dream #1: I was in San Francisco on the cable car on my way to Chinatown. I was talking to someone else on the car about how many of the buildings in SF rotate, circling around with one another in order to share the best views. The cable car started down a very steep hill and at the bottom of the hill, it detached from the cable and plowed through several Chinese bakeries and gift shops before coming to rest. I had a bit of a pain on my right side and wondered if I had kidney damage but I decided to walk around Chinatown to see if the pain went away. As I was walking up the street, two women wearing the white make-up of young geishas and second-hand wedding dresses came running out of a shop. They were laughing nervously. "Help us," they said with very heavily accented English, "The man in the store, he licks us."
"Licks you or likes you?" I asked.
"Likes us. Do you also have beads on your arm?"
I pulled up my shirt sleeve so they could see that I was wearing a gold bracelet (this horrendous, cheap-o bracelet that Jason's grandmother gave me for Christmas 3 years ago, and that I would never wear - even if I were the type to wear bracelets). They were relieved and described to me the beads the man in the store had around his wrist. As we were talking, the man himself came out of the store. I knew him at once because he was wearing rosary beads around his wrist. He smiled at us and continued to walk on.
The danger passed, I also walked away. I approached a city park and noticed there were several police officers. At first I was concerned that I had done something wrong but then I saw the cops were supervising convicts who were cleaning the park - you know picking up trash. One of the officers blew a whistle and said, "It looks good, time to test it." At that the prisoners laid down and began to roll over the grass. I was angered and disgusted because I realized that any bubble-gum, dog shit, vomit, etc. left on the ground would end up on one of the men cleaning the park. As I stood there, one of the convicts rolling along complained about his bad back.

That's all I remember.

No comments: