Thursday, March 03, 2005

resolved, resolute

January 1 is a strange time to start the new year. It's dark. It's cold. You're emotionally and fiscally exhausted from all the cooking and shopping you did over the holidays. Really, it is an odd time to feel that one can turn over a new leaf.

Early spring/ later winter, on the other hand, when the days are noticeably longer and brighter and the anticipation of green grass and leaves and flowers begins to mount, is a pretty good time for new beginnings. In the spirit of all I just described, I hereby declare March 3, the first day of the new year. Or course, it might not be March 3 next year. It will all depend upon whether or not March 3 is a bright day that holds the promise of spring and puts me in a resolute mood.

I resolve to stop skulking around feeling completely isolated and hapless. I am going to get myself organized and go in to get my hair cut. I am going to spend at least 3 hours a day working on my dissertation. I am going to make a list of all the people that I've lost touch with over the past few months and get in touch with them. There's more but that's enough for now.

No comments: