Wednesday, January 26, 2005

update from the field

I have been here 11 days and I must say that, although I have more work to do, I am ready to head home for a spell. Except for a couple of days of respite here and there it has not stopped snowing since I arrived. Normally, there is nothing like a lovely Maine winter but, while here on this trip I am staying in the woods and I need to drive absolutely everywhere. I loathe driving on a sunny summer day. I am positively miserable driving when it is 7 degrees with 3 inches of fresh powder on the road.
On the positive side, this is shaping up to be a fairly productive trip. I am redesigning my project a bit - one of the parts of my tripartite design is just not feasible. Thus, this project is going to be a little less focused on interaction than I would have liked. No big deal - I'll do it later in a place where there is a wealth of the necessary data.
Although I struggle to actually PRODUCE research, I really enjoy coming up with research ideas and conducting the research itself. I am always getting interesting ideas for research. I often think I should just give up on the academic research enterprise and start a journal, "The Journal of Sociological Ideas." The journal would be full of research ideas and accompanying background information. For example, the segment of my dissertation that is not getting done is concerned how social difference/distance is constructed within interactions. If I wanted to publish this idea in "The Journal of Sociological Ideas," I would prepare a description of the project with accompanying lit review and even develop the research design and make guesses as to what the findings might be. Thus, in merely developing the question, I would be freed from ever having to be definitive - assert that I knew the answer.

No comments: