Thursday, January 27, 2005

butter scraped over too much bread

I have people that I consider to be my friends but I don't think the relationships are reciprocal - not because I am not the kind of person you want to have as a friend (or at least I hope that is not the case) - but because I am not really around enough for people to think of me as a friend. Since June of 1995 I have lived in 12 apartments/houses in 7 cities in 3 states and 3 countries. For two years I lived part-time in 2 different cities and for all but the first year of my Ph.D. program I spent the majority of time living away from my department.
Everywhere and nowhere. Sometimes I think this transience accounts for a great deal of the mental degeneration that I described below - maybe for most people it takes until they are old before they have lived in too many places and had too many phone numbers and known too many people to keep it all straight all the time.

No comments: