Saturday, September 09, 2006

To blog or not to blog

My partner and I differ a little bit when it comes to our notions of privacy and risk. When we first moved in together, it was a constant battle between having all the shades up, the windows open, and the doors unlocked and living in a "locked down" facility. We've both regressed toward the mean a little. He doesn't feel the need to close all the downstairs windows every time he goes upstairs and sometimes he even leaves the outer door unlocked when he takes out the dogs although he is still pretty strict about keeping the blinds down and curtains drawn. I actually frequently lock the doors when I am inside and am not constantly running around the house undoing all the closing up he does. However, I still don't worry about closing the shades at night or drawing the curtains so that folks don't see me streaking from the shower to my bedroom closet.

My generally unarticulated philosophy on privacy goes something like this:
1. If you have nothing better to do than hang around waiting for a glimpse of me streaking to my bedroom, I feel for you.
2. If you happen to see or hear something "private" because the shades are up, I expect you to show me the courtesy of turning away and moving on. I would do the same for you. Privacy is, after all, a social arrangement. Living in close quarters (there is not more than 14 feet between our house and the next and there is only a wooden fence separating our backyards) means that we are privy to all kinds of information about one another. Instead of policing the public/private boundary, ultimately a futile task, it makes more sense to maintain norms for respecting the difference between public and private behavior.

Remember Goffman's story about how the Shetland Islanders would walk into one another's houses (same holds on my island home) but would make sure to announce themselves by approaching noisily? Were they to walk in on anything (within reason) private, they would likely turn a blind eye.

So here's the thing. My partner thinks I should discontinue my blog in light of my impending foray into the job market. He thinks that much of the information I disclose is too private and would be a problem if it became known to potential employers and he takes it as a given that my potential employers will discover my blog.

I tend to think that's baloney. First, I think potential employers have better things to do than trying to find out if I have a secret blog somewhere. Second, even if folks were to learn about this blog, I fail to see how it would color their opinion of me as a candidate provided the blog was not used to account for some previously recognized problem with me as a candidate. Lastly, although my posts here aren't constitutive of some joyous and empowering Whitman-esque (Whitmanian??) "yawp," I do value the opportunity to make a "peep" every now and then. SO, dear reader(s), I solicit your help in 2 ways. First, if you would be so kind as to respond to the poll, I would be much obliged. Second, comments are welcome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've thought a lot about this too with my blog. I tend to think that as long as someone can't google you by name and find your blog, you're probably okay. You don't use your real name, nor that of your baby, so I don't think anyone could google you and find this.

I know who you are, and can tell from your blog it is you b/c I know you. I think it is the same with my blog. Someone who knows me well enough, will know it is my blog pretty easily. The chances of someone on a search committee putting that all that together (and having the time to) are pretty slim.

And your blog is also really tame- I'm constantly shocked when I read grad student blogs where people complain openly about their advisors, fellow grad students, other academics in a way that makes me cringe. The basic rule I follow is that I don't say anything on my blog I wouldn't say at a potluck where both faculty and students are present.

Keep blogging islander!!!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Jeremy's blog's link. I like to see how folks at our department are doing, since I'm so far away.Since he has his name on the blog, it's easy to figure out that a lot of the links are from people in our department (by the way, I assumed that it was ok for me to read it, but if it's not, let me know and I'll stop).

I think that the danger is if links to your blog with your name on it, that's something you can't control.

L.

jeremy said...

Meanwhile, I've wondered about the consequences about blogging under my name for my own prospects for opportunities elsewhere.

I just can't see where this blog would be a problem, and I normally have extreme risk aversion associated job market advice for others (see previous sentence and the fact that I keep blogging away regarding advice for myself).

jeremy said...

I think we had talked about you being in my sidebar before I added you, but, in any case, I can always remove you if you want, making you all the more anonymous.