Tuesday, April 04, 2006

island life, redux

I'm looking for a total institution.

My colleagues and I will regularly discuss our work over lunch and dine often at each other's homes. We will consider our occupation one of our hobbies as well. I want to see my colleagues at the grocery store, community center and my daughter's ballet class. I want my dean to live a couple of doors down. My undergraduates will be housed within walking distance and a graduate student will reside in the third floor apartment.

The community will identify as a university community. The bookstores will be among the best in the world.

I'm looking for a total institution surrounded by the world. The university, the department and the community will share the space with all manner of social problems and the multiplicity of responses to the world outside of the cloister will encompass the nativist concerns of those who seek to preserve the intellectual detachment of campus life as well as those who call for a university oriented toward the world it inhabits.

No comments: