Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Geography

In the next few months 3 of my 5 siblings will be making substantial moves. Whereas before there were 2 population centers for my family (back in Portland and Chicago), we are about to become much more diffuse. Since my youngest brother followed me out to Chicago in 1998, I have always lived within driving distance of at least one family member. That is about to change.

So, this dispersal has me thinking about how far-flung my family is when compared with my mother and siblings.

Here's my siblings and I with the distance between our birthplace and where we will be living effective 9/1/2006:
CL 7
AM 1176
MR 1469
AJ 1895
RL 3204
CE 433

and here is the same information for my mother and her siblings' current residences or, if deceased, last residence:
BC 3
LR 3
PL 191
DR 3
BR 3
BH 2
LV 4
JC 2
PR 2176
MD 2
TR 1
ST 1

Notice that, in my family, only 1 of the children lives in the metro-area/state/region of birth. While 10 out of 12 of the children in my mother's family live within 4 miles of their birthplace. Of the 2 living away, one lives in New England.

No comments: