Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What to do?

So, I've got this fellowship-type-thing this year. It provides me an office closer to my home than the Soc Dept. I pursued the fellowship mostly because I thought it would be great to have an office walking distance from home. So, the things is, I got the fellowship but I've been housed outside of the institute that gave it to me. I am situated in a shared cubicle in a policy-oriented research center. So, my cube isn't private (even a shared phone line which defeats the purpose of using my office number when I set up interviews) and I'm surrounded by strangers. Nor have I located any private spaces in the building. Since I live so close, they didn't give me parking - I agreed to this because I did not foresee my troubles. Thus, I have absolutely nowhere to pump and you are supposed to pump about every 3 hours to keep up your milk supply (especially since I only go in 2 days a week). Not to mention the fact that it gets a bit uncomfortable if I hold off for too long. The upshot of this is that I never go to my office for more than 2 hours or so (not including the 30 minutes spent walking round trip) and rarely do I go at all since the startup costs of walking there and getting set-up are not worth the limited time I have to work. I won't be able to make use of it even next semester when it is much easier to leave the tyke.

I sent an email to someone in the institute apologetically asking if there was a private space that I could make use of for pumping. That was 3 weeks ago and I never received a response. We have a meeting coming up in which we are supposed to talk about how it is going in our offices and I don't know what to do. Should I lie and say it's going fine or should I explain my troubles in front of several nearly complete strangers? On top of it, I don't want to sound ungrateful because this fellowship is usually used to support minority researchers so I know they did extra work to be able to offer me one and part of the work they did was finding someone to house me. I also don't want to come off like someone who isn't really making use of the fellowship - like I'm not a serious student, etc.

You don't realize how the world is not at all accommodating to people with infants (sure I can breastfeed in public but I can't bring my baby to work, can I?) until you're in the thick of it.

No comments: