Sunday, November 06, 2005

it's like the true story of a swordboat that is caught in the convergence of the Nor-easter that swallowed a hurricane....

That's right. This past week will go down in family history as the week of the perfect storm. Fortunately, we appear to have pulled through.

It started like this. E. was having some gastro-intestinal thing going on remarkably similar to constipation. We took her to Chicago last Saturday and completely destroyed her sleep routine. She slept very little that day - just catnaps in the carseat or in people's arms. We got home at 11 at night. I have never seen her cry out of sheer exhaustion like that. Then we changed the clocks the next day so I tried to keep her up until 7 p.m. so she wouldn't wake me up at 4 or 5 a.m. Throw into the mix the fact that she was subsisting on highly caffeinated milk as a result of my Halloween chocolate binge Thus, by Monday night/Tuesday morning, E. was incapable of sleep. She literally slept for no more than 40 minutes at a time Monday and Tuesday night. Thus slept I.

Then on Wednesday we took her for her first round of immunizations. That afternoon she had a terrible reaction to the immunizations and screamed for a couple of hours. I finally got her to sleep and she slept just as fitfully that night as she had the 2 previous nights. Thus slept I.

By Thursday she was so sick and so exhausted she refused to be anywhere but in my arms and she cried most of the time she was there as well. I explained to her that babies are supposed to become less fussy in the second month but she was not moved. I actually did get her to sleep pretty well on Thursday night but I was so tired by that point I couldn't sleep at all. She relapsed Friday and did OK last night.

It was also a big week for development. She rolled over (front to back) 5 times, began to open her hands which had heretofore been clenched into fists much of the time, and actually picked up a toy and brought it to her mouth.

So, there it is, folks. The skies appear to be clearing so it appears I've managed to weather this one.

No comments: