Thursday, May 26, 2005

Book Recommendation: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

I know I am probably the last person on the planet to read Middlesex, but let me share my opinion all the same. I thought this was a good book, if a little uneven from time to time. It is the story of Callie/Cal Stephanides, who grows up as a the daughter of a successful businessman in Detroit's Greek-American community only to learn at age 14 that she is actually a phenotypical male who suffers from 5-alpha-reductase deficiency, i.e. has ambiguous genitalia.
As this is a novel, there is no indication anywhere that Eugenides read about Garfinkel's Agnes or is acquainted with the lives of the Reimer twins, however, Cal's story certainly does echo reading I've done elsewhere both in terms of typical responses to ambiguous genitalia and in terms of the effort required to learn how to "do gender." In fact, Dr. Luce is so similar to Colapinto's Dr. Money that I wonder if Eugenides should make his fiction resemble a real character a little less.
At any rate, what I liked most about Middlesex is the fact that Cal's biography, which hinges squarely on his hermaphroditism, is rooted in history and depends just as much upon world politics as it does upon his parents' genes. Cal's claim is not just, "This is who I am, this is how I was made." It's, "I am what history has yielded. I have only scratched the surface of the myriad of actions that created a world which led to the production of me." I think this is an important, if subtle, change in the typical narrative AND I like it.
As for imbalance - Eugenides' style keeps Cal/Callie in the forefront at all times and I think this may do him a disservice because it undermines his efforts to develop his other characters. Many primary characters go undeveloped the entire novel and, when he tries to elaborate upon others, he either awkwardly departs from Cal's narration or Cal apologies to the reader for laying out the thoughts and experiences of others but then goes on to do so all the same.
On the whole, however, a good read.

No comments: