Monday, February 14, 2005

i've got nothing

I am really, seriously, in trouble with this dissertation. I've just got nothing. In my meeting with my adviser last week, I was charged with writing an informal memo - which I should be sending out this morning - taking stock of the project at this point.

According to my notes, the memo should address the following issues:
Summarize where I think the project stands – in terms of where its going and what it is about – how my sense of the problem has shifted – where I'm at with data collection and where I’m thinking is the most profitable way to go. What is this a case of? What are the larger sociological concerns? What does intensive study of one case tell us about other cases? Cases of what? What are the different angles and possibilities? Where I have what kinds of data and how much and how interesting? What links to theoretical ideas and debates going on in literature.

The thing is, from where I am sitting right now, I just can't see the whole project. I can sit for hours and talk to you about how it seems from my perspective that:
1. Assumptions about an American baseline cultural knowledge of what race is and how one orients toward racial difference are largely erroneous.
2. Common diagnoses of the root of racial tensions often fail to take this basic fact into account and, consequently, center on a few issues (e.g. personal and structural racism) at the expense of others (e.g. concrete difficulties stemming, for example, from cultural differences).
3. Subsequent efforts at easing racial tensions, therefore, are incomplete in that A) they are generally focused on "the inner racist" or racist institutions and often culminate in requiring individuals to "recognize that they have racism inside them," and b) leave no space for folks to identify or develop strategies for dealing with other issues (e.g. miscommunication, the cultural space in which their actions are judged to be racially/culturally appropriate/inappropriate) that can be addressed more effectively than bigotry because they yield concrete strategies for action.

So, yeah, that's what I think. Do I have enough data? I don't know - how much is enough? What is this a case of? What are the larger sociological concerns? How is this related to theoretical ideas and debates going on in the literature?

Someone kill me please because not getting my degree really isn't an option - my family would be so disappointed. I would die of shame.

2 comments:

jeremy said...

I'll trust that we don't actually need to start an Islander Suicide Watch. If you have a lot to say and it is not fitting into some pre-fabricated set of questions, then perhaps those questions are not very useful.

Andrea said...

It's not the questions it's that I am not sure how it all fits into the field.

As for the suicide watch, never fear, I don't even have the gumption to quit the program.