Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Best of Milwaukee

Most days I am happy to be leaving. I am excited about the prospect of raising my children in Vermont - both because it is close to my family and because I think the culture of the place is more comfortable for me (and healthier and more multicultural and outward looking and sustainable etc. etc).

From time to time, however, I grow sad when I think about what we'll be leaving behind here in Milwaukee. Here's a first attempt at "Islander's Best of Milwaukee" - in no particular order.
1. The Playroom Closet
2. Milwaukee Public Library
3. Lake Park
4. Riverside Park
5. East Side Ovens Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with white icing
6. Beans & Barley's pesto lasagne
7. Shuffleboard at Hotch-a-do and the Milwaukee Rachel sandwich
8. Harry W. Schwartz Booksellers on Downer
9. Sitting outside at Cafe Hollander on a warm summer day (not for the food)
10. Vegetables from Farmer Steve at Rare Earth Farm
11. Our wonderful house
12. Cempazuchi's sopa azteca and tostadas florentina
13. Milwaukee Public Market
14. The neighbors
15. "The Moms"
16. Dr. T, Dr. Jill, Nella, Terri and Nurse Joan
17. Frederick Avenue compost project, email list, holiday round robin with "skinny santa"
18. The Oriental Theater

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the patio at Cafe Hollander. They have the best Belgian beers and frites!