Saturday, October 15, 2005

Field Trip

It being a beautiful, sunny, blustery fall day, we decided to take a little field trip down to Racine (pronounced rah-CINE for those folks who, like me, are regionally challenged when it comes to Wisconsin pronunciations). There is a fabulous off-leash dog park down there along the Root River (Johnson's Park). We had also heard that downtown Racine is quite nice. Lastly, someone brought us some great baked goods from a Racine bakery. Since I am always up for quality baked goods, have been searching for a good bakery since I got to Milwaukee and have enough of a sweet tooth that I would be willing to drive 40 minutes on occasion to satisfy it - and you know that's saying a lot since I am generally unwilling to drive anywhere - I decided we should check it out.

O&H Bakery, dear readers, is the best bakery I have encountered north of the windy city. It might even count as the best I've had west of Portsmouth if you want to discount my favorite Chicago Chinatown Bakery (Happy Garden) and the best fancy pants bakery (Bittersweet, also in Chicago).

We loaded up on kringle (I'm not really a fan of kringle but my partner is), a giant napoleon ring, a potato doughnut, and a slice of heavenly coconut cake. Next time I have an event, I am picking up one of these babies!

No comments: