Sunday, December 05, 2004

Occupational homogamy

Is anyone familiar with research on occupational homogamy in the United States? Would you be so kind as to point me in the direction of this work? I suspect that there are gender-by-occupation differences which are not completely accounted for by gender differences in the distribution of occupations. Are women who are doctors more likely to be married to people who work as doctors/lawyers/etc than men who are doctors? Correspondingly, are men who are doctors more likely to be married to people employed as teachers/administrators/etc. than women who work as doctors? Someone MUST be doing this work but my cursory spin through proquest did not yield any answers. Although I would love to spend several hours locating relevant literature, I am too busy so help me out if you can.

No comments: