Wednesday, December 08, 2004

It's never too early to start bickering about the children.

Jason and I have no children but that doesn't keep up from whiling away many hours disagreeing about how our children are to be raised. For example:
1. Inside/Outside: Jason, who was raised in an immaculate home, maintains that, once children are outside playing, they are not to come in until they come in for good (even if this means having to go to the bathroom in the shrubs). When entering the house, they are to remove all outer layers of clothing in the mudroom. If they are muddy, they will need to be hosed off outside or they will have to be wrapped in towels and carried up into the shower. My response: Huh? I don't bother fighting him too much on this one, however, because I recognize it as one of those ideas of his that will never come to pass - like when he said no dogs on the sofa and that we would take the car in and out of the garage every time we used it. The car has never been in the garage.
2. No Running in the house: My partner believes that children should not be allowed to run in the house. How is it possible to enforce this rule? Do children under the age of 10 WALK at all?
3. Sports Part I: Jason believes that we should require that our hypothetical children to play sports. He feels that his parents let him quit many sports too soon and he does not want to make the same mistake with his children. I ask: When do they get to decide if they want to continue? His answer: When they decide they want to continue. I don't have a problem with athletic activities so long as equal attention is paid to other activities (e.g. art, music). However, I do have a problem with what I perceive to be the overwhelming amount of time that playing sports takes once children get into middle and high school. Practices every day and on school/summer vacations, etc. How do you find time to be involved in other activities? I maintain that, if we plan a summer trip that precludes attending practices, so be it, no practice. Jason says that we would not plan trips that stand in the way of practices/games and that any other activities, e.g. music lessons, must be second to sports.
4. Neighborhood vs. Magnet school: I am all about neighborhood schools. If the neighborhood school isn't the best then you get in there and change it. Jason prefers to send children to public magnet schools. I am philosophically opposed to the skimming that goes on with a magnet system. I am also not happy with the idea of sending my children off the a school that is nowhere near where we live.
6. Church: I think church is am important element of community life and, also, where children learn a lot of their first lessons about morality and intergenerational civic involvement. So, I want to take my children to church (Unitarian). Jason thinks that I want to brain wash them. It's UNITARIANISM for pete's sake! Furthermore, how different is my church thing from his sports thing? Doesn't he want to teach them to like sports and see participating in them as an important part of their lives? When can they give up church? Either at about 16 or when they head off to college.

No comments: