Friday, June 30, 2006

Doors of Stockholm and vicinity

One of the things I do when traveling is watch for interesting doors and entries. Stockholm offered a specimen or two. So far my best sightings were in Tossa de Mar, Spain. We've recently acquired a scanner and, if I ever get this office organized, I'll set it up and scan some really great Tossa door photos for you. At any rate, here are a couple of doors, entries, etc. from Stockholm:

This first one is a knocker. The door itself was cool but difficult to photograph due to its size and location on a narrow street in the Gamla Stan, Stockholm's oldest neighborhood.


This is the old keyhole in a barn door in Uppsala.

Unfortunately I've nothing in there for scale but note how thin the actual door is.

This is my favorite kind. Door within the carriage door. You know there is some great open space behind that. That's one of the most intriguing things about older areas like this. On the street it feels so close and congested. There is nothing but mostly windowless walls and doors on the narrow streeta and then you get inside and there are plants and open courtyards and apartments.

You can get a glimpse of the green space inside through this door on the left. I also love the contrast and the close proximity of the two entries.

No comments: