Tuesday, December 02, 2008

balanced

Sometimes I struggle to see how my life could be any different. If I really were a full time sociologist, where would I find the time to do the other things. I really don't think it would be possible to sleep any less and I have basically given up on television - unless I am home alone in the evening and whatever movie is on FX is the background to my reading and writing. I know that when I start working on the outside the gym will go and after that it is my time with the kids.

And that's the part that gets me, really, because I don't think that anything I ever do as a sociologist will come close to the mothering - both in terms of the contribution it makes to the world at large and how rewarding it is personally. On my work days I come home from writing feeling good about my project and the work I am doing on it. I enjoy my work and my field. However, on the second straight day of working I start to feel like I'm missing out. I know the kids are fine but I would rather be with them.

Anyway, it is looking like the market will be a non-starter again this year. Fine. I have a really good lead on a visiting position in the area for next year (if a very exciting year-long international opportunity in the works fails to materialize) and a tenure track opening the year after that. I am focused. I am ruthless - well, not really.

No comments: