Monday, May 01, 2006

left behind

I recently submitted some conference expenses for reimbursement. I transmitted the information electronically as the conference program, the airline ticket receipt, and the lodging invoice were all electronic.

I received a phone call that afternoon:
I'm sorry, but we need the original documents.
These are the original documents.
I can't take copies of conference programs and accounting will not accept these for your lodging and travel. I need the originals.
What do you mean?
They have to be original.
Can you define that? I'm not trying to be difficult but I really don't know what you need because these are the originals. I don't have original credit card receipts or anything like that.
Well, you'll have to call the airline and get them to send you something. And this receipt for the lodging, it needs to be in color or have a signature or something.
OK... I'll see what I can do

Later, me on the phone with northwest airlines:
Yes, my institution needs an original receipt for my travel.
Don't you have the e-ticket and receipt we sent you?
Yes, but that's not original enough for them. Can you send me out something on paper?
We can but it will be exactly the same document and you will be assessed a fee.
Oh screw it. Thanks, though. I think I'll just print what I have and fold it like it was in an envelope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The people who run the accounting in your department are clearly knobs who are stuck on their 1970s technology, but...you should be able to provide a copy of your credit card statement showing that the amounts that were charged to you that match those on the receipts. Just take an industrial-sized Sharpie to black out those portions of the statement you don't want them to have access to.